Starting Salary: Commensurate with experience
Closing Date: Open until filled
The Earth System Science Interdisciplinary Center (ESSIC) and the Cooperative Institute for Satellite Earth System Studies (CISESS) at the University of Maryland, College Park, are seeking applications for a post-doctoral or research associate position. Join our team and contribute to advancing Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) Radio Occultation (RO) data processing techniques. As a post-doc associate, your responsibilities will include:
Algorithm Development: Collaborate on developing and refining GNSS RO data processing algorithms, focusing on enhancing data accuracy and processing efficiency.
Data Processing and Analysis: Conduct GNSS radio occultation data processing and analysis to retrieve precise excess phase, bending angle, and refractivity.
Validation and Quality Control: Implement rigorous validation and quality control procedures to validate GNSS RO data, ensuring data consistency, integrity, and adherence to release guidelines.
Technical Reporting: Prepare comprehensive technical reports and presentations to communicate research findings to internal and external audiences effectively.
Publication: Disseminate research results by publishing in peer-reviewed journals.
- Ph.D. in Astronomy, Physics, Atmospheric Science, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field is preferred. Alternatively, a MS degree with 3+ years of relevant experience will be considered.
- Knowledge of GNSS radio occultation data retrieval is essential.
- Prior experience with satellite data analysis and retrieval techniques is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with data analysis software and programming languages (e.g., Fortran, C/C++, IDL, MATLAB, Python, or similar) is a prerequisite.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux operating systems, scripting, and familiarity with standard data formats like NetCDF is expected.
- Strong computational programming skills with the ability to analyze and visualize large volumes of data while automating data processing will be preferred.
- A track record of publishing research results in peer-reviewed journals and conferences will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a CV with a list of at least 3 professional references and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the posted requirements to email@example.com..
THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER