Starting Salary: Commensurate with experience
Closing Date: Open until filled
Location: College Park, Maryland
Duration: 1 year, with a potential for extension based on performance (up to 2 additional years)
About the Position:
CISESS/UMD seeks a highly-motivated and skilled scientist to join our team and contribute to research projects focused on improving radiative transfer modeling, with a special interest in deep-learning and artificial intelligence (DL/AI) based radiative transfer (RT) models for satellite-based retrieval systems and satellite radiance assimilation. The successful candidate will play a key role in developing and delivering the radiative transfer model, which is a critical element in optimizing the use of satellite observations, particularly in light of the expected much higher volumes of such data as both the number of research and operational meteorological satellite systems, and the number of observations per satellite, increase dramatically.
- Develop new and/or improve current AI radiative transfer models.
- Transition the AI model from a research to an operational radiative transfer model, compatible with operational retrieval and assimilation systems.
- Test and validate the AI RT model.
- Contribute to the publication of research findings in high-impact scientific journals.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Physics, Environmental Science, Engineering or a related field,
- Or a M.S. degree in one of the above disciplines and 3+ years of experience.
- Prior knowledge and hands-on experience in machine learning (ML) algorithm implementation.
- Experience with radiative transfer, satellite data assimilation and retrieval techniques is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in Python programming language and ML-oriented tools, such TensorFlow, Keras, and/or PyTorch.
- Good understanding of Unix/Linux OS and scripting; familiarity with common data formats, such as netCDF, HDF5, and BUFR.
- Excellent skills in manipulating large volumes of data.
- Prior experience in data visualization using Python tools.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a CV with a list of at least 3 professional references and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the posted requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER